I was recently involved in an engagement to implement SRM 5 with a Dell Compellent storage solution. During the engagement we had various issues around how to implement the Dell components. Dell have produced a best practice document but some elements of the document are a little light on the ground. This blog is a collection of tested procedures that we followed to prove the solution.
Setting up the EnvironmentDuring our testing we setup the environment using the following steps:
1. Set up the LUNs and replication using Compellent Enterprise Manager client.
2. Save the restore points using Enterprise Manager client. This is a manual process that Dell talks about within their Best Practice guide and must be done after all major SRM events.
3. Set up datastores in vSphere and present them to the appropriate hosts.
4. Create a Protection Group(s) in SRM for the newly created datastores.
5. Create a Recovery Plan(s) in SRM for the newly created datastores.
6. Configure SRM debug logging in both Data Collectors to collect SRM information. (We did this step in order to capture detailed logging to provide Dell if required)
7. Confirmed that the SiteA SRA was talking to the remote data collector (hosted in SiteA) and the SiteB SRA was talking to primary data collector (hosted in SiteB), as per Compellent Best Practice. (This configuration is not 100% clear in the best practice document and we were provided conflicting information from Dell Support when we asked for verification, the document did not define Primary vs Remote Data Collectors and simply referred to Enterprise Manager in both sites.
Defining the Failover procedure
We defined the following procedure to be run during a failover type of 'Disaster Recovery':
Defining the Failback procedure
We defined the following procedure to be run during a failback type of 'Disaster Planned Migration:
1.Run the same Recovery Plan as used for the Failover procedure, selecting 'Planned Migration' as the recovery type.
TestingAfter defining the procedures we then carried out the following tests to verify the process.
Test 1 - Both Compellent Enterprise Manager data collectors running
Test 2 - Primary data collector shut down
Test 3 - Remote data collector shut down